Skrad has a rich religious heritage of
which bear witness the religious buildings in town which have for centuries
serve to celebrate the glory of God, Mary and patron saints. The Skrad parish
includes the Chapel of the Holy Trinity in Bukov Vrh, Chapel of St. Rocco in
Šije, Chapel of the Assumption of Mary in Skradski vrh.
Church of St. Antun di Padua
Church of St. Izidor in Divjake
Church of St. Vid in Kupjak
The Lončarić House, a monument of urban architecture of the 19th century
According to tradition, the construction
of the house began in 1821, as evidenced by the inscription on the lintel door
in the basement. They say that the house was finished in 1841, and this year
listed on the second lintel in the basement. The year 1841 is written above the
entrance door, and oral tradition has it as registered when the house opened an
inn. Opposite the house, across the street, in 1842 a long building was built
(26m x 13 m), which had barns in its bottom half. In them travelers who came
via the Louisiana road could change horses or rest them, while they worshipped
at the bar. Above the stables there was a huge space for the hay-barn. Hay was
thrown into the barn through openings in the floor. Half of the building was
demolished in 1954 to build an access road to the parking lot and the gas
station. Today, only half of the building remains, and it has been converted
into a bar and a shop.
The “Munjara” Hydroelectric Power Plant
This is the first hydro power plant in Gorski Kotar. Built in 1921 and put into operation in 1922, it made Skrad the first town in Gorski Kotar to have electricity. The plant is still in operation, its power is 2 x 0.8 MW, and is considered a monument of technical culture. Its reservoir is located in a cave.